Director of Health and Stop Loss Underwriting
About The Position
Hi, we’re Gravie. We improve the way employers offer health benefits and provide employees coverage they can actually use. We’re looking for a Director of Health and Stop Loss Underwriting. Primary responsibilities for this position include establishing and running an internal underwriting department that has previously been outsourced. This role will build and manage the medical underwriting function for Gravie’s proprietary products: Gravie’s flagship level-funded and self-funded health benefits that are reinventing the way people purchase and access healthcare.
- Build out, manage, and execute on health and stop loss underwriting methods, process and procedures for Gravie prospects and customers. You will source and procure external tools and systems (including underwriting manuals) as needed and will lead the development of internal tools and systems necessary for success.
- Collaborate with vendor partners to smoothly transition Gravie’s underwriting function from an outsourced one to an in-house one.
- Ensure proper pricing and successful delivery of proposals for all new and renewing business on Gravie’s proprietary products.
- Roll up your sleeves and underwrite some cases!
- Build, manage and develop a team to effectively and efficiently execute Gravie’s underwriting strategies and scale the team to support Gravie’s strong growth.
- Establish and manage necessary vendor partnerships for overflow underwriting, clinical review, and other functions to support Gravie’s underwriting effort.
- Work closely with the Sales and actuarial teams to ensure Gravie’s actuarial and underwriting functions operate in lockstep and are properly calibrated and market competitive.
- Work closely with the Sales team to achieve growth and profit goals.
- Collaborate with other Gravie stakeholders, including leadership, analytics, and data science teams, to add new features and underwriting methods to Gravie’s proprietary underwriting engine. You’ll leverage your strong expertise in underwriting science to inform the design and feasibility of these new features and methods. As new methods are developed, you will seamlessly integrate them into the established underwriting process.
- Comprehensive and deep expertise in medical underwriting of level funded and self-funded group health plans and stop loss insurance. You have strong experience underwriting groups of all sizes, but specialize in underwriting small to midsized groups, including person-by-person risk scoring and underwriting.
- Equal comfort and competence using claims experience and/or individual health questionnaires to underwrite groups.
- Expertise in underwriting other group employee benefits, including dental, vision, and other ancillary products.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
- Deep understanding of health insurance, medical stop loss, and reinsurance products
- Very strong analytical aptitude and problem-solving skills
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple critical projects
- Excellent attention to detail, while still remaining focused on core business objectives
- Experience managing people
- Strong teamwork
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Habits of excellent organization, time management, and responsiveness
- A flexible attitude and ability to work independently with limited direction
- Demonstrated commitment to core Gravie competencies of being authentic, curious, creative, and results oriented
- Prior experience working in a startup company
- Prior experience developing new products
- Prior experience developing new underwriting techniques